Follow Me Where I Go...



Blog owner not responsible for errors at the source




Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Public Policy

Freedom
I can disagree with your ideas
Without disagreeing with you.
I can disagree about religion
Without questioning your faith.
I can live my life in liberty
Without violating your privacy.
I can offer you freedom
Without forcing it on you
I can live in peace with you
Because of freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I've posted this before but I feel this is necessary once again.  Sometimes people feel like there are only two choices.  They feel they are only the extreme ends of the spectrum.  But there is also a middle ground. 

In regards to a certain public figures and their ability to maintain a private life, yes, they have a right to maintain privacy.  They also have a right to share their life with the world (see Keeping up with The Kardashians).  There is also a middle ground.  What and how much is decided by them.  

But, if they choose to share something with the public then that information is going to be analyzed, scrutinized and altogether abused by some people.  That is the way the world works.  Also not everyone is going to agree with you and your choices.  I don't have to agree with you to live with you!  The two are not mutually exclusive.  I, personally, did not like a certain musician who is no longer with us because of their personal habits.  However, one or two of their songs are very good.  Their habits did not affect the quality of their music.  

The current uproar is not with the public figure themselves but with a person they associate with.  I have associated with people whose reputations may not be the greatest.  That do not make anything I do less valid. It is not a requirement of liking an public figure, to like everyone they associate with.  This goes for actors, musicians, painters, writers, etc.  I would have thought this was discussed at length when Ender's Game came out but obviously not.  

There are people insisting that it is required that everyone smile and "be thrilled" that this association is being made.  That is not their job, to tell someone else what to think or say.  What someone else likes or dislikes, is none or your business, unless they are trying to stop you from expressing your opinion.

 "I can disagree with your ideas, without disagreeing with you." 

My nature is that of a sceptic and will continue to be.  If I see something that looks unusual, I will question it. 









No comments:

Post a Comment