Follow Me Where I Go...



Blog owner not responsible for errors at the source




Monday, June 11, 2012

Driving with the Family Pet



New Jersey has implemented a new law regarding your pets and seat belts. Yes, seat belts.  Fido, Fluffy and Fifi must now be strapped in to head to the shore, the park or grandmas house.  Now, I’m all for responsible pet ownership.  Sandi tells me how to take care of her all the time.  I have often stuck my nose into others business when I feel a pet is in danger.  I once saw a German Sheppard hanging half way out of a convertible window.  The lady was bringing him into the pet store and I asked her what happens if you have to stop?  However, dogs are not children, no matter much we love them.  They can not be told to sit still, at least, not all of them.  Some will chew through leashes, harnesses and yes, seat belts.  Dogs do have to take car rides to the vets, to the groomers, and to doggie day care.  As long as the dog is safe in the car and not a distraction to the driver, what is the problem?  It seems to me that insisting on seat belts specifically, is the equivalent of demanding a specific child restraint.  Sandi sits on my lap, quietly.  Why should that be a $250 fine?  If I am not wearing my seat belt that is a $25 fine. Yes, Sandi is precious but the law is saying a dog is worth more then a person.  Just saying…

No comments:

Post a Comment