Follow Me Where I Go...



Blog owner not responsible for errors at the source




Saturday, August 4, 2012

Be Grateful For The Time And Place We Are Living In


We often complain about thing and don’t often stop to take time to be grateful for the time and place we are living in.  It hit me as I was watching The Tudors and reading The Postmortal by Drew Magary how lucky I am to live when and where I am.
For starters as I woman, in this day and age I am free have the ability to vote and not chattel of my father or husband.  I can hold a job (if I had the ability).  I do not have to get married and have children until I die in childbirth.  I can own property.  I am not property.
We have freedom of speech.  I can write this blog expressing my opinion within fear of losing my head.  I can say things about the people in charge or the laws without fear of prosecution as long as I do not lie about them.(libel)
We have freedom of religion in this country.  We can choose which Church we wish to attend.  People tend to forget this.  In The Tudors, people were forced to give up the religion of their forefathers simply on the will of a King.  If they disagreed with this position they were hung, stabbed or beheaded.  Yes, this still happens in some countries but I thankfully live in America.
We are in a age of electronic splendor.  We can instantly communicate with others all over the world.  We can access information instantly.  We have the world at our fingers.  We can hear the words or see images of someone long dead or worlds away.  These images and sounds are preserved forever.
If you get sick today, it is relativity easy to find out what is wrong.  Very few women die in childbirth compared to the middle ages.  When is the last time you heard of someone dieing from the flu, or having a foot amputated for a splinter?  These things happened even as little as 100 years ago.
Right at this moment we have not overcrowded the planet or run out of natural resources, yet.  At some point in the future, most scientists agree, we will.  There will be fights over food, water, fuel and all the resources will be scarce.
If there is to be a point to be taken from all this, it is that yes bad things are always happening.  But I would rather have the bad things that happen now then the bad things that have happened or that will happen. After every rain comes the rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment